17 Dangerous Household Products you need to be aware of

Introduction to Dangerous Household Products

It is essential to be aware of the dangerous household chemicals that are lurking in your home. Chemicals like formaldehyde, benzene, hydrochloric acid, and acetone can cause serious health problems if they are not correctly handled. This article will discuss 17 household products that you should avoid using because of their potential dangers.

dangerous household chemicals on blurred background

What are Dangerous Household Products?

A hazardous household product is any product that has one or more chemicals that could cause illness, injury, or death if it were misused. People who work with hazardous household products may be at risk for diseases such as asthma caused by breathing in the air from spraying paints and other coatings; lead poisoning from using lead-based paints; cancer from inhaling fumes from solvents, such as benzene; and skin problems from working with paints and finishes.

Household products are found in many homes, but they can also be dangerous. These hazardous materials often include cleaning products like bleach, paints like lead-based paint, solvents like benzene, and air fresheners like formaldehyde.

These substances can affect people’s health and the environment. To protect themselves, people need to know how to safely use these products and where they can get information about their health effects. NIOSH is part of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

See also  Famous narcissists list: Learn the types

How Can People Protect Themselves?

People should keep hazardous household products in their original containers and only use them in well-ventilated areas. Ventilation means that there must be openings to allow air in and out of a room. Closed rooms without ventilation can trap chemicals in the air and enable them to build up inside a person’s body. Opening windows, doors, or using fans while using hazardous household products can increase exposure to these toxic chemicals.

People may also need to wear protective clothing, eyeglasses, gloves, or respirators when using some of these products or to do related work around the house. NIOSH recommends that people not mix household products.

  • Some chemicals will react with other chemicals in unexpected ways, causing dangerous fumes or something even more dangerous to form.
  • People should check the label of the product for warnings about proper ventilation and specific precautions that need to be taken while using the product.
  • It’s important to follow these guidelines exactly because one wrong move can cause sickness or even death.

What Can I Do?

If you think that your home contains hazardous household products, talk with your family about whether you should get rid of them or make changes in how they are used.

  • Remember to always read and follow product warning labels before using a product, and ventilate the area where you are using them.
  • If you have children or pets in your home, take extra precautions to keep them safe from household hazards by following steps for child-proofing your home.
See also  Consumer Activism Report: Microsoft, Tiktok and Netflix

Dangerous Household Products Examples

A good example of a dangerous household product is bleach. This is because it can produce toxic fumes and causes corrosion on surfaces that it touches.

Another dangerous household product is ammonia, which causes eye and respiratory tract irritation and can be fatal if ingested.

Other dangerous household products are cleaning products with lye or sodium hydroxide, appliances that overheat, items that contain lead paint, pesticides that are not appropriately used, furniture polish with waxes in them, oven cleaners with lye in them, cleaners for chrome faucets containing sulfuric acid.

What are the most dangerous household products

– Acetone

– Ammonia

– Bleach

– Cooking oil

– Draino

– Lye

– Naptha/Lighter fluid

– Red Devil Lye (cane toad lye. It’s not as harsh as draino but will still melt your skin).

– Sodium hydroxide/lye (Drain opener can be substituted for this, but it is more caustic and will burn like hell. This has the highest chance to eat the flesh off of you and possibly kill you)

– Superglue (This is an adhesive, rather than an acid.)

– Alcohol

Gasoline

– Lighters

– Air fresheners

– Scissors

– Poisonous plants

– Anything that contains mercury

– Firearms

Conclusion

Of course, this list is not exhaustive. You have to think about things that may seem harmless for you but are dangerous in the hands of somebody with impaired judgment or mental illness.

Viable Outreach | Activism for the 99%
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons