Insightful quotes about depression
When depression and anxiety creep up on you, it can be hard to find motivation. Reading motivational quotes is a great way to break out of the depression or anxiety rut that you’re stuck in. This blog post includes quotes for depression and anxiety, so you’ll always have something to read when your head is down!
1. Depression is like being in a dark room, knowing the way out and trying to get to that door, but it just seems too far away.John E. Anderson
2. The important thing about depression is this: I can measure it against my life as a whole and see how my days are going. That is what you do in psychiatry: measure things by the general level of need for help.William Styron
3. Depression used to be something folks shook off with some hard work, not so anymore.Tammy Wynette
4. It’s been my experience that the blues always start off sounding nice enough; they’re only an irritation at first-a mild headache perhaps-and are so low-grade they don’t even make you dizzy. But then the headache deepens, spreads; it’s joined by a pain in the neck and shooting pains down both arms. Pretty soon you’re seeing things in black and white. You find yourself doing crazy things like putting your fist through a windowpane…feeling scared half to death but having no idea why.Carl Wilson
6. The blues have their place, though: they can take the top layer off your life, show you what’s underneath.Howard Nemerov
7. I’m so depressed these days I even step on my shadow.Billy Idol
8. ‘Troubled…indeed…the people of America are deeply disturbed over the treatment accorded Dr. Spock and the five convicted men charged with conspiring to aid draft resistance… Seven out of every ten Americans have expressed some point of view in this matter; slightly less than half (45 percent) feel as strongly as that about it.'” – poll results from “The American People on Polling,Time Magazine, December 16, 1968
9. Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.William DeFoore
10. If you call that love, I’ll stick to depression, thank you very much.Jack Black and Michael Cera in Year One (2009)
11. The depressed person is an angry person who has been humiliated but won’t show his anger directly because he wants to win the approval of others.Martin Seligman
13. Have some big throughts’: Shakespeare wrote those words, but they’re firmly grounded on clinical observation, too….To list symptoms common among depressive patients: lack of energy or interest; or oversleeping; loss of appetite; irritability or restlessness; trouble concentrating, remembering details and making decisions. That’s a long list, but it could describe any person who wakes up one morning and discovers that he just doesn’t feel like getting out of bed.Lance Morrow
14. Why be depressed when you can be happy?’ But I have this strong feeling that happiness is the consequence…and not the goal….What would our problem solving ability be like if we could only harness unhappiness? If everything was going swell all the time, we’d become self-satisfied, less motivated to figure things out in new ways. This is why they’re called ‘depressed’ people: depression focuses their attention on. It increases their perception of problems and makes them more creative.Ann Cvetkovich
15. Sarah, I’ve got great news! They found a cure for depression…It’s HIV!
16. One night at dinner, in the middle of an argument about money….my father paused, looked at my mother and said: ‘I don’t know why you have to be so depressed all the time.’ The word hit like a bullet between the eyes. It was true that my mother had spent years swallowing handfuls of Prozac-strength antidepressants,…But it wasn’t her medicine that made me flinch…No, what stung was hearing anyone use the word ‘depressed’ out loud to describe her. To put that label on my mother’s life.Merve Emre
17. There are three reasons for becoming a writer: the first is that you need money; the second that you have something to say that you think the world should know; and the third is that you can’t think what to do with the long winter evenings.AC Benson
19. Sometimes people have bad or even terrible experiences but after time they may find it possible to look back on them and see them in a new way. I think it is often possible to gain a new perspective on unpleasant things that have happened and this can involve grieving for aspects of the past that one has lost, acknowledging painful events – perhaps feeling some pain at the time they occurred but also seeing them as part of one’s personal history.The Demoralization Project
20. I’m always angry about something because there are always bad things happening in life. But I’m not angry in a depressing way; I’m more like mad and looking for justice!Selena Gomez
21. That reality show ‘Intervention’ should really be called Depressed Intervention because nobody gets better, no matter how much money people spend or tears viewers shed watching them get help.Kevin P.
22. I have run into a few truly distressed folks, one guy in particular was talking so fast it was hard to get a word in but I did manage to ask him ‘What are you most depressed about?’ His answer completely surprised me (it didn’t make sense) he said ‘that I am not more depressed’.Maria L.
23. That the brain is just another organ? That depression is the result of a lack of serotonin or dopamine? And that we can fix it by popping little blue pills?Kay Redfield Jamison
24. The truth is sometimes hard to find. An old Cherokee told his grandson that there’s a battle between two wolves going on inside us all: one is evil and mean; the other is good. The grandson thought about it for a minute, then asked: ‘And this battle is inside me too?’Unknown
More depression quotes
26. I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.Audrey Hepburn
27. Weep not that the world changes–did it keep A stable, changeless state ’twere cause indeed to weep.Sophocles
28. You have been sheltered from love lost because of your fear of being hurt by another human being. Your soul is tired. You feel deep down that you don’t deserve a good life, so you settle for less than what your heart truly yearns for.Brittany Gibbons
29. What keeps me alive and kicking is I have goals to reach and people that depend on me. Now my kids won’t ever remember their mom being sad all the time or feeling sorry for herself because they were always the reason I woke up smiling.Kristina Dolce
31. What if depression isn’t something you just overcome? What if is water and despair is rusting away the very best parts of you?Esmé Weijun Wang
32. I never thought of myself as a depressed kid, but I was always sad. And most of my friends were always kind of sad too.Carrie Brownstein
33. Life is not your own. Do not selfishly use it for your own individual pleasure and advantage, thus acquire merit towards yourself alone: live it for others who are equally in need of this life and have equal right to it with you.Leo Tolstoy
34. Depression is like an ocean; we can either be overwhelmed by its waves or find sanctuary within ourselves.Sia Amma
36. Don’t be desperate to always feel happy; allow yourself to be sad, annoyed or emotionally exhausted for a while and you’ll soon see that this will help you become a more balanced person.
37. You’re not alone: 1 in 5 people suffer from a mental illness at any given time. That means if you’re sitting in a classroom of 20 people, 4 of them are struggling silently with issues as serious as yours.Unknown
38. The only thing I know about depression is that it’s bloody awful.
39. Depression is not a sign of weakness. It’s a matter of being strong enough to admit you need help.Unknown
41. No one will find true happiness until they become successful in their search for inner peace!
Jonathan Lockwood Huie
42. Depression is not ‘like me’.
43. Be happy now, this moment is your life.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
44. Being truly autonomous means not worrying what anyone else thinks about you or how you feel at any given moment; it’s unapologetically being yourself no matter what.
45. I’m not sad anymore, I’m just blue.Charles M Schulz
46. People ask ‘what’s wrong?’ when everything is okay; it makes me laugh lately…because nothing is ever wrong…not really anyway.
48. Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire.
49. No amount of self-hatred can solve the problem we are facing, because the cause of our depression is not within ourselves; it’s in the way we think and feel about things.Thubten Chodron
50. Keeping your sadness inside you means keeping it alive forever. Just like a dark room. Only when light enters can darkness evaporate.Claudia Mieux
Although some individuals may benefit from professional treatment for depression (such as psychotherapy or medication), there are also many natural ways to boost mood and address feelings of sadness.
These include keeping active, spending time with others, challenging negative thoughts, practicing mindfulness, and building a “toolbox” for coping with stressful situations.
Depression is a serious and common mental illness that can affect anyone. According to the World Health Organization, depression will be second only to heart disease as the leading cause of disability in 2020.
We hope you found these quotations helpful or at least interesting! If you are suffering from symptoms of depression and would like assistance finding treatment options, please contact us today for help. One phone call could change your life forever!