So you decided to become a pro blogger, but you don’t know how to start a blog and make money. Don’t worry; we’ve got your back. This easy-to-read guide will teach you the basics of starting a blog and many pro-tips only we can provide.
How do I start a blog?
First, you need to ask yourself two critical questions about your blogging journey. Those questions are:
- What do you want to get out of your blog
- What type of users will your blog cater to
After you answer those questions, you need to find yourself a hosting provider and pick the main topic for your blog. There are many different hosting providers available, but we recommend starting small.
What are the best practices to writing a blog post?
Being a good writer helps, but you should write about what you are passionate about. Write clearly and be engaging to your readers.
Look at this post and how we use headers and bullet points; that is how your blog posts should be. Most blog posts look this way for several reasons.
- It’s easier to read headings and bullet points
- Most users skim through articles or look for specific information
- People are used to the way popular blog posts look
Related: Shareable Blog Post Ideas
How Do I make a blog post that converts?
It’s not as hard as you might think! Here are three things to keep in mind when writing a blog post.
- First, remember that people don’t care about your product or service until they know and trust you.
- Second, be sure to include the word “you” in your post.
- Third, make sure your post is interesting and engaging.
When it comes to blog posts, think about what you want to read. Would you be interested in a post that tells you about a new product or service? Probably not. But you might be interested in a post that tells you how to do something or offers advice.
So, when you’re writing your blog post, think about what your readers would want to know.
What standard should I use for writing different types of blog posts?
There are many different types of blog posts, such as list articles, how-to articles, opinion pieces, etc., but they all need to be engaging and creative.
When writing a blog post, a good rule of thumb is “less text equals more engagement” because people don’t like reading long paragraphs on their phone or computer screen.
- Make sure to utilize images, videos, and links within your blog posts
- Try to make sure that you have a call to action at the end of every blog post so that they know what or where to go next
- Have a good amount of keywords throughout the article but also keep it readable and engaging for people
You don’t want to over-optimize your blog posts by repeating the exact words/phrases too often, as it can hurt your ranking on Google and other search engines and make it seem like spam.
How to make money with your blog
You can use your blog to make money in several ways. You can create a business by marketing products or services on your blog.
You can also sell company stock with your blog, write a book and a course together, and most importantly, you can use your blog to sell advertising space!
There are a couple of ways most bloggers make money. Both methods involve advertisements, and Google Adsense and Amazon affiliate networks are the most popular.
The problem is that these advertisement networks don’t pay out as much as they used to. That means for your blog to make decent money, you need a ton of traffic.
How do I Promote my blog?
You can promote your blog easily through social media. There are tons of new social networks popping up every day.
It takes time to build a following, though. So your strategy for promotion should also include researching what people are searching for in the search engines. On that note, Google Adwords is the best tool for research. Some simple tips for promoting your blog are:
- Be consistent and on brand with all your social media posts
- Post often, but make sure you don’t burn yourself out.
- Any link you create on the internet is better than having no links
Related: The Most Controversial Debate Topics
How do I make money with my blog without selling out?
This isn’t an easy one to answer. How about being honest with your users and yourself. You have to manage your expectations and take them one day at a time. You have probably seen a million blogs out there completely loaded with advertisements.
Those sites didn’t sell their souls; they needed the money. Those sites likely have a lot of overhead, so their costs are extraordinarily high. Here are some tips to keep your costs low:
- Find the fastest and cheapest host, or use a free host like wordpress or blogger
- Don’t invest what you don’t have
- Write content yourself, or use an A.I writing assistant
How Do I Increase Blog Traffic?
We briefly mentioned social media promotion before. Along with creating links, these are good ways to increase blog traffic. The main takeaway here is to make good content that resonates with your users.
Good content = more blog traffic. And it is that simple. Here are a few more ideas to increase the traffic of your blog:
- Create links through social bookmarks and web 2.0 sites
- Don’t overthink content creation.
- Answer your users questions, and call it a day
How can I create a blog for free and make money?
We mentioned some free hosting sites like WordPress and Blogger before. However, there are many other high-quality sites. Medium.com comes to mind; there is also Scoopit and Quora.
Some of the places we listed have avenues for you to make money. It should be noted; we often get back what we put into things. So you should expect to put some investment into your blog. Here is our list of free sites you can explore:
How do I achieve success with my blog?
A successful blog provides relevant, valuable content to its audience. So, define your target market and start focusing on content that will appeal to them. Remember that not everyone who visits your blog is interested in or looking for the same thing, so focus on different posts to appeal to all kinds of readers.
Time and perseverance are the keys to creating a successful blog. Many people are used to thinking they can make a quick buck. Plus, a lot of blogging advice makes blogging sound way easier than it is.
So please make no mistake; being a successful blogger is difficult. If it were as easy as people say it was, a billion bloggers would live with the top 1%. The following are our tried and true methods to being successful.
- Be patient and think in terms of years, not months
- Always keep your users at the front of your mind
- Have a content strategy that can cross-target different topics
- Don’t pin yourself into a niche that you can’t handle long-term
If you want to start a blog, the main thing you need is a domain name. Google’s Keyword Tool is a great way to find one for free. Type in what topic your blog will be about and click “Get Ideas” on the right-hand side of the screen.
From there, scroll down until you see “Domain Availability Checker.” Type in your desired domain extension (i.e., .com) and then hit enter! You can also sign up with WordPress and install it onto any web hosting service provider if that suits your needs better than free blogging platforms like Blogger or Tumblr.