The world is changing. We are in the midst of a sustainability revolution, and people worldwide are beginning to care more about what they buy and how it is made. The first step to living a sustainable lifestyle is understanding what that means for you.
In this blog post, you will learn the following about sustainable fashion:
- Sustainable Fashion Meaning
- Why Sustainability Matters
- Which Brands Are Sustainable
- How To Make Sustainable Fashion Choices Today
What is Sustainable Fashion
When we say “sustainable fashion,” we mean clothing that has been created with minimal impact on the environment or society as a whole.
Brands like Reformation, Vaute Couture, and People Tree have perfected this art – but there’s so much more.
Sustainable Fashion Tips
Here are some easy tips that will get you started on your journey towards a more environmentally conscious life!
- Research companies before purchasing their products
- When buying clothing made by brands with strong sustainability practices, request natural fabrics like hemp and silk rather than polyester blends.
- Buy secondhand clothes, and if you can’t find what you want in your size or style, try to sell dresses that no longer suit your needs!
Related: 7 Ways We Can Save The Planet
Sustainable Fashion Examples
As implied by its name, sustainable clothing brands focuses on creating garments with low environmental impact while keeping shoppers happy with trendy pieces of high quality.
This includes items like the following:
- Fabrics and fibers that are made of renewable materials, such as organic cotton or bamboo
- Innovative manufacturing technologies to minimize water use in textile production, which also reduces pollution from wastewater treatment facilities
- Ecological dyes without heavy metal residues for colors that won’t run when they get wet
Sustainable Fashion Brands
To find sustainable fashion brands at a fair price point, you may need some guidance. Luckily there’s no shortage of choices out there
Reputable companies include Patagonia, Stella McCartney, H&M Conscious Collection, and Walmart’s new Conscious Clothing line.
Patagonia is a good choice for high-end sustainable and eco-friendly clothing that doesn’t sacrifice style.
Sustainable Fashion Alliance
The Sustainable Fashion Alliance is a network of businesses in the fashion industry committed to the company’s sustainability in fashion.
The main objective of this organization is to make sure that there are no negative impacts on the world, and they want to eliminate waste, pollution, and social injustice.
- Sustainability does not have a direct definition, but it has been seen as environmental sensitivity or resilience concerning material, energy, and responsible production methods.
- Stop spending money on things you don’t need so you can save more money for something else in life
- Fast fashion brands are not sustainable because they depend on fast manufacturing processes, contributing to pollution and waste.
Related: What Is Minimalism
The Bottom Line Whether you’re looking for the perfect work outfit or are just wondering if your favorite brands practice fashion sustainability, this article provided you with all the information necessary to answer the question.
When shopping for sustainable clothing, the most important thing is to make sure that what you purchase comes from a sustainable fashion brand that prioritizes sustainable clothing as its number one priority. It’s better for our environment and makes us feel great knowing we’re doing something positive.